Astrology: Fact or Fiction? What Does The Bible Say?
What is "astrology"? It is the belief that the positions of the stars and planets somehow shape our personality and even influence the events of our lives. Every newspaper has a "horoscope" section which is divided into 12 sections representing the 12 different signs of the zodiac.
According to this section of the newspaper, 12% of the planet's population is going to have pretty much the same kind of day. Since there are 6 Billion people on this planet, 720 million people are destined to have an identical day "according to the stars".
Scientifically, logically, and biblically this is ridiculous. What about the percentage of those people who will die on that day? or lose a loved one? or suffer a life changing disease or accident?
What Does The Bible Say About Astrology?
19: and lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun and the moon and the stars, even all the host of heaven, thou be drawn away and worship them, and serve them, which Jehovah thy God hath allotted unto all the peoples under the whole heaven.
Why Does God Hate Astrology?
1. It is worship of false gods or idol worship. Scripture is very clear that God put the stars in heavens in the act of creation. Scripture does mention that there will be "signs in the heavens" just before the return of Christ but this is not referring to astrology. These "signs" are major events in the sky that can be viewed by earthly inhabitants such as comet Hale-Bopp's recent passing.
2. This so called science is based on falsehood. Everything that God condemns in the Bible are always things that lead people away from God and to, ultimately, their spiritual and physical deaths. God does not want you to die...He wants you to live. However, He leaves that choice up to you the individual.
3. Star divination is in fact "doctrines of demons". All false teachings originate with Satan and his deceptive hosts.
In the book of Isaiah Chapter 47, judgment is being pronounced on Babylon. Here is what Verse 13 says Thou art wearied in the multitude of thy counsels: let now the astrologers, the star-gazers, the monthly prognosticators, stand up, and save thee from the things that shall come upon thee. Here God is challenging astrologers and the like to save Babylon from judgment. He is mocking them.
What are some problems with "astrology" from a scientific point of view?
1. Astrologers believe our traits are influenced by the position of the stars and planets at the time of our birth. However, science says it is our genes that we inherit from our parents that determine what our traits will be.
2. Constellations are billions of light years from earth and the light we see from those formations is very, very old. The things that are on this planet have much more effect on us than planets and stars that are virtually unreachable by us.
3. The universe is mostly undiscovered by us. How can only a certain few planets & stars influence us and none of the rest can? It is illogical.
Conclusion: Science says astrology is a lie and I've only touched on some of the scientific arguments against star divination. God, via the Bible, says astrology is false and is, in fact, idol worship. Logic says star divination is inconsistent.
The next time someone asks me what sign I was born under, my answer will be "The sign of the cross".
Copyright 2006 by Gary Goodworth
Fill out the form and receive a link to one of An Unseen World's webpages right into your inbox. As a bonus you will get an article from the archives of the Ezine Sight Unseen plus a link in each email that might interest you. Receive emails every 5 days.